The Simulation Research Group specializes in the research, development and deployment of software that support the design and operation of buildings, as well as the research of next-generation building energy and control systems. As the former developer of the DOE-2.1 and the SPARK software, the group is now developing:
- the EnergyPlus whole building simulation program,
- the Simergy graphical user interface for EnergyPlus,
- the Modelica Buildings library for rapid prototyping and controls design,
- the Building Controls Virtual Test Bed for co-simulation and for model-based operation,
- the GenOpt generic optimization program, and
- the EnergyPlusToFMU to export EnergyPlus as a Functional Mock-up Unit for co-simulation.
The Simulation Research Group is also leading, together with RWTH Aachen, the IEA EBC Annex 60. Annex 60 is developing new generation computational tools for building and community energy systems based on the Modelica and Functional Mockup Interface standards.